Smoked Halibut Pizza- 2 12 inch pizzas
- 1 medium onion- thinly sliced and cooked in small amount of olive oil for 20-30 minutes until browned and sweet, add salt and pepper to taste. Remove from heat.
- small jar of artichoke hearts in brine- drained and quartered
- 1/4-1/2 pound of smoked halibut at room temp- use leftover from previous recipe- cut into slices or flaked
- Garlic and red pepper flavored olive oil- see recipe below
- Pizza dough recipe- use your favorite recipe or buy premade at grocery store.
- Cornmeal or polenta to help prevent sticking on the pizza stone and peel.
Put pizza stone in 450-500 degree oven and preheat for 30 minutes.
Roll out dough to desired size- do not be concerned about getting it perfectly round. 12 inches is ideal for handling with the pizza peel. Sprinkle peel liberally with the cornmeal or polenta and place crust on peel. Brush the entire crust with the flavored oil (sprinkle with additional red pepper flakes if you like spicy) and then top with the caramelized onions and artichoke hearts. Put pizza on the stone and let cook for 10 minutes or so until the crust is crisp and browned, then remove from oven. Add the flaked or sliced halibut to the pizza and put back in oven for 1-2 minutes to lightly heat the halibut but not to cook it anymore. Remove pizza and using a pastry brush, brush the edges with the flavored oil. Cut into slices and enjoy!
Garlic and Red Pepper Flavored Oil
In a small saucepan, combine 1 c light olive oil (no need to use extra virgin) and 6 cloves of garlic. Bring to a boil and then reduce heat to a simmer for 10 minutes. Do not burn the garlic. Remove pot from the heat and add 1/2 T red pepper flakes (or more if you like more spiciness). Let cool 2 hours at room temp. To save- put in covered container in refrigerator for up to 4 weeks. Can also use in stir frys, pasta dishes, as a dipping sauce for bread or any place you would use olive oil.