Smoked Halibut Tostadas- serves 3 or so
- 1/2 pound or so smoked halibut fillets- cut into cubes or flaked
- White spicy beans- see recipe below or 2 cans white cannellini beans seasoned per recipe
- 6 or more fresh corn tortillas (or buy prefried tostada tortillas)
Suggested toppings: shredded cabbage, pico de gallo salsa, diced avocado, thinly sliced onion, picked banana peppers. Other options: sliced olives, sour cream or Mexican crema, guacamole, tomatillo or other salsas.
White spicy beans– makes about 2 cups
- 1 cup dried cannellini beans- soaked overnight- or can use 2 cans rinsed and drained cannellini beans
- 1/2 medium onion- finely chopped
- 1/2 red pepper- finely chopped
- 1 jalapeno- seeded and finely chopped
- 2 cloves garlic- finely chopped
- 3 c or more vegetable stock- can use water also
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp dried oregano flakes
- 1/2 tsp or more to taste chipotle powder
- 2 T canola oil
- Salt to taste
Put the canola oil in medium saucepan over medium heat and cook the onions, garlic, red pepper, and jalapeno until softened. Add the beans and cover with vegetable stock or water. Add all the spices except the salt and bring to a boil. Reduce heat to a simmer and cook until beans are soft- about 45 minutes. Add more stock or water if needed. Salt after the beans are fully cooked. If you prefer your beans mashed, use a fork or potato masher to roughly crush.
If using canned beans, you should only add enough vegetable stock or water to blend together with the spices and heat through. Cook for 10 minutes or until heated through.
To fry the tortillas: In a nonstick skillet over medium high heat, put a thin layer of canola oil in the bottom and cook the corn tortillas for 1 minute on each side to crisp. Drain on paper towels and add more oil to the pan as needed. This method uses less oil than traditional deep frying but you can certainly deep fry them if you prefer. Most supermarkets also carry the precooked tostada shells, which are also a good option.
To assemble the tostada: Start with a layer of beans and then sprinkle with the smoked halibut and the other toppings. Be creative and enjoy!